Toenail fungus affects millions of people around the world. This is because it is easily contracted through the cracks on toenails and even on skin. Fungi burrow into these cracks, which eventually spread, making the nails discolored and thicker than normal. Not only do toenails look ugly and deformed, but they become painful as well. If you ever contract toenail fungus, there are ways you can remedy it that will not cost you a lot.
How to Tell if You Have Toenail Fungus?
There are several telltale signs of toenail fungus. See if your toenails are any of the following:
- Oddly shaped
- Thicker than normal
If you have any of these symptoms, you can get our foot checked by a dermatologist so you can be prescribed the right cure for it. But you can also try home remedies on how to cure toenail fungus.
Who Can Get Toenail Fungus?
Although anyone can get toenail fungus, there are certain demographics that are more prone to it. Males get it more than females and the older ones are more susceptible to toenail fungus. People with certain illnesses such as diabetes or those whose immune systems are weak, can get it faster than those who don’t. If any of your family members had it in the past, your chances of having it too are significantly higher.
Treatment for Toenail Fungus
Note that even if you notice the above-mentioned symptoms on your toenails don’t mean that they are toenail fungus already. Psoriasis presents the same symptoms but require a different treatment. The best thing you should do is to consult either a podiatrist or a dermatologist to get the right diagnosis. Once you have been diagnosed with toenail fungus, your doctor will prescribe the best treatment for your condition. Some of the most popular treatment methods for toenail fungus include:
- A fungal cream that goes into the nail may be recommended for your condition.
- Nail lacquer that can directly be applied on the nail.
- Oral antifungal medication.
- Removal of the affected nail or skin.
- For worse cases, nail surgery or the removal of the entire toenail may be required to prevent further spread of the fungus and so that a new, fungus-free nail can grow.
- Home remedies such as apple cider vinegar, olive leaf extract, tea tree oil, baking soda and many others can also be tried to relieve your foot of toenail fungus.
- 2017 voted as best cure for toenail fungus: NutraPure Fungus Clear Supplement.
There are hygiene practices that you can adopt to prevent the occurrence of toenail fungus. When trimming your toenails, make sure that your equipment is sterilized. Wash them with water and soap or wipe with alcohol after use. Keep your nails short and as close to the skin as possible. Keeping your feet dry is also one way of preventing this situation as fungus thrives in moist and warm areas.
Once you notice anything on your toes, do not delay your trip to the doctor as it can get worse pretty fast. Do not wait until one or several of your toenails and the skin around them have become infected before you decide to consult a doctor.